Technology has always been a double ended sword. This is also the case for fleet management software. While on one hand it is considered a god sent from fleet businesses, it can also raise alarms for drivers. But with its natural operations, a lot of these concerns are valid as well. This is why businesses employ a vehicle tracking system with their business needs to ensure that their drivers understand its operations and benefits.
Before we get to understand the benefits of using a fleet management system, let’s first understand why employees might find it problematic. This article aims to do exactly that.
How Does Fleet Management Software Operate?
The question arises, how does the fleet management platform function? What makes the drivers vary in integrating it with their operations? When put simply, a fleet arrangement software is a combination of solutions that aim to help fleet businesses automate their operations. This can help them become more efficient and also increase productivity.
Some of the solutions often included with fleet management software are:
- Route Planning
- Driver Behaviour Monitoring
- Fuel Monitoring
- Asset Tracking
- Video Telematics
But how can these solutions create to make fleet functions easier become a matter of concern? Let us try to look at this process through the lens of a driver.
Issues with Using Fleet Management System
Drivers are often sceptical about letting a tracking system monitor their activities. But why? Here is a list of possible reasons for this opposition:
- Constant Supervision: Drivers are weary of having somebody monitor activities all the time. This is a very valid concern, one that is easily resolved by explaining the functioning of a fleet management system. Drivers do not have to worry about their operations and can work freely as long as they adhere to the fleet business’ rules.
- Dashcam Integration: With video telematics, businesses often put up a driver facing dashcam. But not only is this camera a source of surveillance, but it can also act as a distraction. This makes the drivers concerned about their safety. The very device aimed to reduce distracted driving might become the reason for accidents.
- Less Freedom: Drivers might feel like they will have less time to rest in between their tasks if there is always a manager keeping track of their activities. They will be pressured into being more productive even if it comes at their expense. It might also lead to them pushing their own boundaries, ultimately doing more harm to their work execution.
- Cyber Attacks: The loophole in the safety of data inside a fleet management software is no secret. Fleet businesses that do not pay attention to their cyber security measures can end up falling prey to privacy breaches. This might make drivers vary in letting the system store their documents.
Ways to Mitigate Driver Concerns with Fleet Management System
So how can a fleet business help ease the concerns of their drivers? Here is a step-by-step guide to making their drivers get used to the idea of using fleet management software:
- Step 1: The first step is to make the drivers understand the operations of the fleet management system and its solutions.
- Step 2: All the fleet management software in the market are very different from one another. This is why the fleet business bends to try the demo of several ones before choosing one. This also helps drivers to get used to the system they will be using.
- Step 3: The second step is to devise a training program for all drivers to learn how to use the system. It is only then that they will be able to judge if the system is a good match.
- Step 4: After all these steps, the final step is to slowly help the fleet operations shift to automation. This can happen through good communication between drivers and managers.
Benefits of Using Fleet Management Software
We have mentioned that it is important that managers need to communicate the benefits of fleet management system integration with their drivers. It is only when the drivers know that software will aid tier work will they be willing to change. Some of the benefits that the system provides its users are:
Drivers are a very important unit in fleet operations. They are essentially the ones that have to execute tasks and run the fleet. Their actions make the most impact on a fleet’s budget and also reputation. Using a fleet management system needs to cater to the needs of a driver in order to ensure smooth operations. This is why the following benefits can be a motivation for drivers to adapt to vehicle tracking software better:
- Higher Visibility: Under manual management methods, there is a good chance that the hard work of a driver might go unnoticed. But with fleet management systems the insights that the system provides managers especially highlight what employees are doing well. This means they are able to showcase their work better.
- Clear Routes: A major reason behind driver turnover is the unplanned operations of a business putting them in jeopardy. Route planning solutions of the system allow managers to have pre-designed task routes for the managers. This takes off the responsibility of finding good paths on the driver’s shoulder.
- Boosted Safety: The system’s main aim is to make a fleet safe and secure on the road. So when the vehicles are safe, the driver’s safety is also well maintained. That means they do not have to stay vary of the high accident rate on the roads.
Is Using Fleet Management Software a Threat to Privacy?
No! The fleet management system is in no way intended to be a privacy threat to its users. It is simply a tool kit that helps fleet businesses reinforce some safety guidelines for their drivers. Drivers who are uncomfortable with their information being used by the system can talk to their managers. This not only promotes better team bonding but also makes it easier for drivers to adapt to the change.
TrackoBit, the leading fleet management system is the best match for your business. It provides drivers with the best benefits, and its solutions are aimed at making task executions simpler. Driver behaviour monitoring software, route planning, fuel monitoring and video telematics can all make fleet businesses profitable. They also positively affect the productivity of a business, thus boosting its reputation.
Request a demo and try out the system for yourself!
Currently creating SaaSy Content Strategies at InsightGeeks!
My professional gig started as a copywriter with a leading ad agency. It’s been a fun ride ever since. I have come so far from writing ad copies and creating campaigns to building brands. Yet, there’s a long way to go! The brands I am nurturing these days are TrackoBit and TrackoField.
Other than playing with words and spilling SaaS, I love traveling to the mountains and sipping on adrak wali chai.