Before apply to the textile material by dry tumbling, pumice stones are first soak in a solution of a strong oxidizing agent, such as potassium permanganate (3-6%) or sodium hypochlorite (5-10%). As a consequence, there is a distinct blue/white contrast and a localized washing effect. Acid washing is the name of this method. This is also famous as “washing with snow” or “washing with ice.”
Indigo jeans have striking contrasts due to the acid washing process. The method came from Italy by fabric manufacturers and received a patent in 1986. It’s interesting to note that the wash method for acid wash denim doesn’t include real acid. Instead, the method creates a non-uniform color change by using pumice stones soaked in bleach. Splotchy yellowish patterns are often the end outcome.
Jeans with this finish provide tonal color contrasts that are distinct. Washing with ice or snow is another name for this. This is perform by dry tumbling denim with pumice stones that we dipped in bleaching chemicals to create a “snow” pattern look. To remove the color of clothing, stones get involve to deposit a chemical on the fabric. This chemical deposit results in a frosted look and only eliminates color from the exterior surface of the clothing. The most well-liked choices for this process are indigo and a few specific sulfur colors.
Pumice stones are usable for acid cleaning, often popular as stone washing. Acid gets spray first on the designate regions of the garment during an acid wash to remove the base color. The wash is done in two steps: the first phase involves washing the item without water, and the second step involves washing it with water.
Motive of the acid washing
- To give jeans a consistent fading appearance.
- Boost the denim or jeans’ suppleness.
- The appearance of “wash look” is created.
- Washing machine
- Hydro extractor
- Tumble dryer
- Packing machine
Step by step procedure
- Firstly, soak volcanic stones in a solution of potassium permanganate. Stones get saturate after absorbing chemicals. After that, the stones get dry in the sun or open air. The stones get treatment to be applicable.
- Secondly, the clothing which is of denim is now getting prepare for washing. They get clean in a washing machine, get desize, destarch, and get dry in a spin dryer.
- Again, the clothing get load with a separate tumble dryer with usable stones. No water get add. Now start the dryer and do a dry-clean-only wash of the clothing. The clothes get wash in a tumble dryer without using any water. The clothing will get damage by stone, particularly the open areas. Hidden components never get rub away.
- Finally, the clothing is then eliminate from the tumbler and placed in another tumbler with water to get wash and rinse off. The pronounced acid wash effect will become apparent after rinsing.
The chemical to bleach the open areas and turn them white is perform by the usable stones. But the concern areas get no affect. During rinsing, bleaching chemicals are often get add to the water to make the blue jeans’ white tint seem whiter and better showcase the acid wash.
Porous pumice stones and chlorine or PP bleach get soak during the acid washing of jeans. Use of sodium bisulfate for neutralization It is advisable to wash, neutralize, etc., in two different washing machines.
After main procedure
Porous pumice stones get submerge for 20–60 minutes in a chlorine or PP bleach solution. Excess water get drain from the stones once they get totally submerge in the bleaching chemical. Then, for around 20 minutes, the stones and denim clothing get place in a washing machine. There shouldn’t be even a single drop of water in this operation. Throughout the whole procedure, the drain must open.
The cloth gets move to another washing machine for regular washing and neutralizing after the desired appearance get attain. Drying is perform after neutralization of the clothing.
Pollution due to acid wash
Pumice stone and chemicals (sodium hypochlorite or potassium permanganate) are both used in acid cleaning. Although it doesn’t need water, it causes pollution. Smaller amounts of stones don’t provide the desired result (the bleaching effect), while larger amounts of stones harm the cloth, the accessories, and the machine itself. Both the washing machine and the metal jeans attachments are harmed by the acid. Pumice dust, dangerous residual manganese, and cotton fiber dust from pumice stone abrasion are all present in the effluent. When worn often, acid-washed jeans have a propensity to become yellow.
Acid washing process is one of the powerful and applicable methods for denim textile. If you are the one who are into the fashion business then fabriclore is the right place for you. With a wide network of fabric manufacturers, you can get the best textile option here. You can also choose to modify and customize your textile with unique ideas and designs. Our textile experts would help you during the entire textile sourcing procedure.